Thursday, March 27, 2014

...in books

Matching Covers

I think there is no other topic that divides reader as much as matching covers! 

It is a reoccurring theme on Book Blogs and Booktube and opinions are rarely identical. Whenever a cover change occurs in the middle of publishing a series my feeds explode with rants. 

Some readers love having matching covers and have a neat and organized bookshelf, others don’t care because what matters most to them is the story between the covers and there are also some in between – liking matching covers but would never buy a book again just to have matching covers.

It’s confession time!

I don’t care if covers match or not. Do I like it when they do? Yes, of course but it is not important to me. I even have series that I started reading in German and finished in English and that’s okay. 

they almost match
different publishers, different heights and yes, I tend to crack spines (Sorry!)
When I started reading the Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella I was mainly reading German books but when Shopaholic and Baby was published I couldn’t wait so I bought it in English and I have and never had intentions of buying the others in English too. Especially with this series it shows my personal development as a reader. Confessions of a Shopaholic, the first book in the series, was published in 1999 (when I was 13) and the last one, Mini Shopaholic, was published in 2007. 

Hardcover, paperback, different heights and languages - I don't care!
I also own the Peter Grantseries by Ben Aaronovitch. The first book was a gift from my mum and she randomly picked it up at a bookstore and after reading I had to get the second one which was only published in English at that time so I got it. As you can see, this series is a mix of languages, heights and there’s also on hardcover copy included (which is signed). 

different heights, editions and cover art

As you can see, I don’t really care how my books look and if they match as long as the story is good but my mum is the complete opposite. She reads almost as much as I do but she gets really upset when her books do not match or if a cover change occurs. She owns almost all of the Gideon Oliver Mysteries by Aaron Elkins and when she recently bought some older books of the series and the covers did not match she really thought about sending them back. This thought would have never crossed my mind but she is still not happy that they don’t match. 

After telling you that matching covers are not my number one priority when buying books tell me, what kind of cover person are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment