Friday, March 9, 2012

... in books

TGIF is a weekly meme hosted by Ginger from GReads!

This week she asked us to
Promote An Author: Is there a particular author you wish got more recognition? Pick one author & tell us why we should read their work.”

Well, I think there are some authors that don’t get enough recognition. Michelle Madows, Gervase Phinn, Ali McNamara and Anne Fortier to name a few.



I would like to promote Anne Fortier because she is the author of the wonderful novel “Juliet” which took me by surprise and which I loved so much that I gave it to three friends (only one bookish friend) as birthday gifts last year.


Juliet is a wonderful novel set in Siena, Tuscany, Italy, Europe, World, Universe :) and tells the story of Julie Jacobs and her hunt through modern day Siena to discover an old family secret and the hatred between the Sienese families Tolomei and Salimbeni and the role she plays in these families. I am a sucker for Italy and it doesn’t make any difference if I am there visiting in person as a tourist or if I am visiting it as a reader because a book is set there. I just love it so much!
When I saw that Juliet is set in Siena, a town I visited a lot during my Tuscany holidays, I needed to have it and I never ever regretted it.

Anne Fortier grew up in Denmark and emigrated to the United States in 2002 to work in film. She co-produced the Emmy-winning documentary Fire and Ice: The Winter War of Finland and Russia and holds a Ph.D. in the History of Ideas from Aarhus University in Denmark. The story of Juliet was inspired by Anne Fortier's mother, who always considered Verona her true home ... until she discovered Siena. (source: http://www.randomhouse.com/rhpg/features/anne_fortier/about-the-author.php)

For more information visit her website: http://www.annefortier.com/

1 comment:

  1. This one sounds really good, I will have to check it out. I love all things Italy too!

    ReplyDelete