Wednesday, January 4, 2012

... in books


I got a wonderful bookish present from my cousin for Christmas. My family knows about my love for and my addiction with books. I had a lecture about Shakespearean times some semesters ago and I fell in love with the bard. It is not like I am reading all his plays like mad but I love to see his plays on stage. I saw the Hamlet version with Mel Gibson and Glenn Close in school and I also love Romeo and Julia with Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes. 

When it comes to Shakespeare I also adore books that deal with his life. I have so many at home – haven’t read them all but I need to have them. What I love more than books about Shakespeare’s life are book dealing with him in any other ways, like in J. L. Carell’s book The Shakespeare Secret.

So back to the present my cousin gave me.

front
This is an indirectly lit black acrylic glass board with Shakespearean quotes on it.
It looks so amazing when the candles are lit behind it. The cut out quotes start to shine. Really cool and unique!

back
Because I am not sure if you can read the text at all I wrote it down here for you.

as you like it
can one desire too much of a good thing? like this place and willingly could waste my time in it. true is it that we have seen better days
hamlet
to be, or not the be: that is the question. there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. brevity is the soul of witt. I will speak daggers to her, but use non
julius Caesar
but, for my own part, it was greek to me
king lear
I am a man more sinned against than sinning. my lover’s more richer than my tongue. nothing will coma of nothing
macbeth
what’s done is done. fair is foul, and foul is fair. I bear a charmed life. I have no spur to prick the sides of my intent, but only vaulting ambition which overleaps itself, and falls on the other
measure for measure
some rise by sin and some by virtue fall. the miserable have no other medicine but only hope
the merchant of venice
but love is blind, and lovers cannot see. the devil can cite scripture for his purpose. I like not fair terms and a villain’s mind
a midsummer night’s dream
the course of true love never did run smooth. well roared, lion



1 comment:

  1. Wow, that looks awesome! You really got a wonderful gift. The quotes are beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete