Friday, June 17, 2011

... at university


Right now, I start to get a little dizzy from all this sounds.
Sounds strange – well, it is.
I am preparing for my PPOCS exam, which is a kind of conversational course. There I have learned the CORRECT General American way of English. I mean I am speaking English – American English – since I was about three but I wasn’t speaking it correctly. Thank you!
So I need to practice my th-sound and my voiced s and all this …
And yes, I am kind of annoyed with all this. It is just one course for crying out loud. After that no one will ever ask me if I speak British or American. We American English speakers are the minority at the department anyway. There are just three to five professors who speak American English and there sometimes I get to hear things like “Yeah, that is an American pronunciation. We don’t use that!”! I mean, people! Come on!
I think it is not necessary to read between lines to see that I am not happy with that situation but I have to deal with it and make the best out of it.
So I will now turn back to my prepared three pages of Elizabeth Gilbert’s “Eat Pray Love” and read it once again to my room. I so hope that I will pass this exam because I am not sure if I can do this over again without turning crazy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment